John Meredith, the owner and head chef at James St Cooking School, knows a thing or two about cooking. His advice to you this Christmas Day? Keep your meal simple and light with this delicious prawn salad – how quintessentially Queensland!
- 1kg whole cooked prawns (peeled and de-veined)
- 100g bean shoots
- 1 medium carrot, cut in the julienne style
- 1 green mango, peel and julienne
- 1/4 continental cucumber, julienne
- 1 tablespoon picked ginger, julienne
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese mint
- 1/2 cup coriander
- 1/2 cup mint
- 1 long red chilli, julienne
- 1/2 packet vermicelli or mung bean thread noodles
- 2 long red chillies, de-seeded & roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Palm sugar to taste
- Fish sauce to taste
Preparing the noodles:
Using the hottest water from the tap, fill a bowl and immerse the noodles. Allow to stand until soft. Remove from the water, rinse, and allow to cool.
Preparing the vegetables:
Julienne and chiffonade the vegetables. Tear the mint and the coriander leaves – do not use a knife. Combine all the ingredients, add to platter, and place cooked prawns on top.
Preparing the dressing:
Place chillies in a mortar and pestle, add other ingredients and mix well.
December 8, 2014